Tuesday 11 March 2014

Day 3 - The Buffet



This morning Jun suggests eggs on toast. Yum! After only one day of a traditional Filipino breakfast I am excited to go back to something more normal for me. (I am not big on change).  Jun serves up my egg on toast…. Fruit toast…. Hmmm… Interesting.  Well, I guess I need to be open minded and give this a try.  Surprisingly egg on fruit toast is quite nice, not something I’d prefer over egg on regular toast but still enjoyable to eat. If you’re feeling a little adventurous, give it a try sometime! 

We only have one piece of toast as Jun’s parents are coming up to Tagaytay and taking us out for lunch.  What I didn’t realise was that we were going out at 11.30am and to a buffet…. Now I understand Jun’s emphasis on not eating too much at breakfast, which we ate at about 10am. The buffet was at the Country/Golf Club that Jun’s Dad is a part of and is exclusive to members and their family and friends.  Jun’s Mum was insistent that I try everything, and normally this wouldn’t be a problem (except for seafood…) however there is a strong emphasis on no waste in the Philippines, so you must finish everything on your plate.  With this in mind I am too nervous to try everything in case I don’t like and have to leave it, which makes eating at a buffet a little stressful!

The food in all was quite lovely.  I was really enjoying the “gravy” on the roast pork complete with crackling which I expected it to be savoury but it was sweet.  Jun informed me that it was in fact liver sauce…. I really wish he hadn’t told me that but since it was so tasty, I kept eating it anyway. The highlight was the mango ice cream to which I added a brownie and cooked banana on the side.  A perfect way to end the meal. There wasn’t a lot of space left in my stomach but since it was so delicious I managed to cram it in. After all, there is to be no food left on the plate…..

After all that delicious food it was definitely time for a nap and Jun’s parents headed back to Paranaque (Manila). After our lazy afternoon I had one thing on my agenda… Wi Fi. Where better to get Wi Fi than Starbucks? Wrong. Starbucks sucks. Every time I go there, I think, why do people drink this crap? Granted I only drink Hot Chocolate but I have it on good authority that the coffee is also terrible. We couldn’t get the Wi Fi to work which we had paid extra for so we asked for our money back (too bad we couldn’t get a refund on the awful drinks) and left. We vow never to go back there, and call it quits on looking for Wi Fi and head home to make dinner.

For tonight’s dinner: Longanesa sausage, egg, tomatoes and rice.  Traditional breakfast.  For Jun it feels like he’s eating breakfast but since it contains rice, for me this is definitely dinner. The delicious food melts away the frustration of the unsuccessful Wi Fi hunt and we relax in front of the TV watching shows mostly in Tagalog with a few English phrases thrown in just to tease me.

Delicious Ice cream, brownie and cooked banana

Soup. Jun put this together and the chef cooked it. He proudly informed me that it contained no seafood so that he could share it with me.  Apparently crab is not seafood......

From Left: Siomai, Tang (thats right, Tang lives on!), noodles and beef and mushroom, Roast Pork with LIVER SAUCE. Up the back is a mix of soy sauce, vinegar and calamansi (like lime) and in front is obviously..... fried rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment