Tuesday 4 March 2014

DAY 2 - To The Mountains!




After worrying about how I will cope with sleeping in the heat, I woke up cold through the night from the air conditioning!  I guess that’s one of my fears of living in a hot country eradicated.  However, after arrogantly proclaiming that mosquitos really aren’t interested in me and therefore I wouldn’t need repellent, I found a number of bites on my body. I guess I am tastier over here, exotic blood…..

Jun asks me what I would like for breakfast.  How would I know?  What do you eat for breakfast here? I don’t suppose I could get some vegemite on toast? No? Bacon and eggs……? Possibly not.  Ok, what is a traditional breakfast here?  I want to begin my time here by trying to fit in to the Philippine way of life, so why not start with breakfast!  As I had suspected, my day is definitely going to begin with rice. This is ok, I can do this, I love Asian food.  There have been times that I have dug in to left over Chinese for breakfast (OH YES YING CHOW LEFT OVERS!!), so I am sure I can do rice for breakfast. 

Garlic fried rice (yes, garlic at breakfast….) is going to be accompanied with egg (breakfasty), whole grilled tomato (prefer them in half, but I can deal with that) and Longganisa (What? Oh, Filipino Sausage).  I’m not a big fan of sausages, probably because Australian sausages really aren’t that good. (My brother Adrian would whole-heartedly disagree with me on that one.) They are just too salty and so with my past experiences with sausages from home I wasn’t too keen on having sausages for breakfast.  It turns out these mini sausages are sweet! SWEET! Yay! I am surprised with how much I like them and I’m relieved.  I didn’t want to offend on my first proper day in the Philippines. 

I thought it would be appropriate if I ate like a native so I joined Jun in eating with a spoon and fork….. A spoon substitutes the knife.  You cut the food with the side of your spoon, then push the food off the fork with the spoon, scoop it all up with the spoon and shovel it in to your mouth but not before dipping it in Pinakurat (vinegar).  They love the vinegar here, it seems to accompany everything, so why not have it at breakfast?  We ate our meal out on the terrace upstairs.  It’s not too hot today and I think that I can handle this weather, not as humid as I thought.

After the dishes have been washed up, we (Jun) are getting ready to go to Tagaytay (Ta-gay-tie).  Tagaytay is about an hour drive up to the mountains (Jun insists its 45 min but on both the way there and back it took over an hour each time).  Jun’s Dad own’s a holiday home there and so we are going to spend a few days up there. 
We pull in to the estate (past the guards who have been informed of our arrival), which is mostly a retirement place for Filipino-Americans.  It’s so quiet compared to the hustle and bustle of “the outside”.  We arrive at their holiday home, which could be confused as a home due to its size and we settle in.  Since it’s been a while since breakfast we decide to go to find something to eat and I think it would be best to try something local.  We go to a tiny food stall just off the roundabout. It looks good, it has the same name as the Dim Sum place next to my favourite Ying Chow back home, Kowloon which has nice food, so that’s promising! I stay in the car while Jun goes to purchase the food.  I am putting my trust in him to get something I’ll like.  He comes back with Shark’s Fin Siomai (Sho –mai), Bola-Bola and Asado with Salted Egg (both are siopao, pronounced “Sho-pao”). Hmm……. Not really selling it to me but I will try it when we get home.
First I try the Shark’s Fin…. It’s chewy and not too fishy.  I dip it in Soy, Calamansi (similar to lime) and Chilli Oil. It helps with the taste but I’m not really digging the texture too much.  It was much like a dim sim but a little chewier.  We have 3 of them but I am quite content to stop at the 1…..

Next, the one with the salted egg.  The outside is very sweet bread.  There is a lot of bread compared to the filling.  Normally I LOVE bread, but this really was too sweet for me.   The filling is sweet chopped pork, which I quite like.  The last is the Bola-Bola, which is also pork in sweet bread but it has a similar texture to the Shark’s fin so I let Jun finish it.  All in all, not as impressed with this Kowloon as the one back home but I had to try. After all, what’s the point of coming to a new country if you don’t try?  You could discover something amazing that you have never had before.

With all the excitement for today you would think that the day would be over. Oh no.  Not when I discover that you can have an hour massage for under $10! I am going to get me one of these!! We cruise up and down Tagaytay looking for a reputable place which we eventually find.  They are booked out for an hour so we head over to the chain store take-away for a bit of Chic Boy. We eat grilled chicken flattened on a skewer (bones and all- Inasal) and enjoy eat all you can rice. We are serenaded with two guitarist/”vocalists” who seem so know my whole ukulele! (hmm, gives me an idea….) We tip them 20 pesos (50 cents) and head back for our massages. 

My shoulders are so tense and I can’t wait for the knots to be worked out so that the headache I’ve had all day will finally go away.  We are called for our couples massage (apparently Mr and Mrs Lazo….. hehehe) and enter the room.  Now, I have had a few massages in my time so I cleverly slip under the towel while Jun lies on top of his.  Smug me laying there is then told by a slightly embarrassed masseuse that I actually need to lay on the towel  and the one for on top of my body is at the end of the table…. Whoops! Fail.
At what we presume is the end of the massage, we are left alone in the room without a word said.  I guess this is the end…. Do we just get dressed? Where is this tip envelope they mentioned?  Why didn’t they touch my shoulders, the source of all my tension and the whole reason for getting a massage?!! We get home and Jun has to do my shoulders anyway. Lesson learned, won’t be going back there and wasting another $10. Yes, that’s right, $10 and THAT is an expensive massage!! Usual price in Manila is around $6. I think I will be getting a massage every week but specifying neck and shoulders. NECK AND SHOULDERS….Maybe I should learn that in Tagalog……..


Breakfast!

Chicken Inasal from Chic Boy.
Go me with a fork and spoon!


Shark's Fin Siomai

No comments:

Post a Comment